Friday, July 29, 2011

Universal Homework Model

I have spent the last few days analyzing the UHM and designing a poster to keep in the front of the classroom.  I have been discussing this topic on the forum.  There are so many wonderful ideas for posters!!  I like the idea of using a soccer ball to manipulate towards my students goal.  In order to comply with district homework policy, I need to have a 5 star homework policy.  If I end up with 32 students and 4 days of homework that will be 640 at 100%, and students get 5 whole minutes of Mind soccer on Friday. My other percentages are 80% at 4 minutes, 60% at 3 minutes and 40% at 2 minutes.  I think that I will have a better turn out with homework, with this model in play.   

5 star: Math, Reading, letter( rough-draft, Final draft) spelling or vocabulary
4 star: Math, Reading, letter, spelling
3 star: Math, Reading, letter
2 star: Math, Reading
1 star: Math

I will make sure that I have their daily goal, clearly visible on the board, at the beginning of each day:)
I really like how simple this format is.  In the past I have spent lots of time trying to come up with suitable homework, just to have 3/4 of the students turn it in or, you get it turned in three days late!
Five more days and the fun begins!!
Heather Hansen
WBT Intern
2011/12

1 comment:

  1. Hey Heather! I finally found your blog! I look forward to following and hopefully sharing ideas throughout the year.

    Rand

    The Whole Brain Blogger

    ReplyDelete