Saturday, August 6, 2011

WBT and combo classes

One more day and I can hardly believe it!  School has been a very anticipated event, thanks WBT!  I was getting a little feed back from a colleague.  She has been implementing WBT for a year in her classroom.  She uses it in a 2/3 combo.  I am very interested in following WBT and combo instruction. Many people, that teach combos, use WBT whole group.  Well... as we know you can't always practice whole group instruction while teaching a combo.  When I taught a combo I would try to mesh as much instruction as possible.  I even spent a week trying to type up and align all the 1st and 2nd grade standards.  As it turned out, I relieved the parents by telling them that it was basically a GATE class for 1st grade and a regular 2nd.  WBT would work when you can do that.  My colleague is not comfortable with that and thinks that, though WBT is wonderful, she can't use it as frequently as she would like because of the varied instruction.  She said that she gets one side going independently and then hops back over to the other side of the room. How exhausting, plus, I have a feeling that she may be losing some of her students with all of that down time.  You know, the daydreamer!  I was once one myself!    I know that we have to follow the curriculum and I agree that it is a very useful tool.  However, I don't understand why students can't read the same story and learn from the WBT classroom model book, with respect to writing and grammar.  It would work wonderful and cut back on all the confusion, with respect to teaching. I feel that the means goal end is to create an enlightened, well-rounded, educated, college bound individual......That loves to learn!!!:)  We can do it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment