Thursday, July 14, 2011

Remembering Teaching in the Beginning

Being that I am beginning this WBT Intern journey:)  I thought it would be interesting to reflect on the beginning and the evolution of my teaching.  I always say it starts with the shoes!  My very first day, teaching fourth grade, was almost comical.  Up I come walking with a line of parents, with their children, eager to see the face that goes with the name.  I mean.... I was so clueless!! I chose to wear tan stilettos with a lavender skirt and jacket.  As I was walking up, I remember the confused looks, as to why I would be wearing stilettos.  Maybe... I thought I would be sitting grading papers after instruction?  Sadly enough, it was a long year!  I had a class that even the best of teachers would run from!  I cried everyday and contemplated quitting twice!  After that year, I rolled up my sleeves, changed my shoes:) and got to work.  I realized , that year, that the children ruled the class and they would only cooperate with a tangible reward.  My husband commented that it costs us more for me to be a teacher.  Five years past and I searched for several teaching conferences that would help management, cut back on grading, increase test scores, and anything else I could attend.  Now, ten years later,  I did find my groove and I have always spoke with my hands:), so WBT was a perfect fit for me.  In all of the years I have been teaching, this past year, I have heard students verbalize things like, "Mrs. Hansen, school goes fast this year!"  Or "I learn so much and it's not even hard!"  Everyday, I was so excited to get to work.  I started realizing that I have a dream job and I am doing exactly what I should be doing.....Teaching!  We start school on the 8th of August and usually, this time of year, I am dreading going back to school and feeling under the weather because of all the lesson planning I am usually doing.  Well, honestly, I can't wait to get started implementing WBT with my new class:)  I think that WBT provides clarity!  Clarity for the student and the teacher.  The simplified and quick explanations, coupled with the Teach..OK has truly created a Teacher Heaven!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, you've taught everything between K and 6th? Even with all of that experience it sounds like WBT has really made an impact on your classroom!

    I'm looking forward to hearing more about your class this year. I recently found out that I am an intern too, so maybe we'll get to know each other!

    Allison
    awholebrainteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather! Congratulations on being chosen as an intern. Denise, Robin, and I have been at the Phoenix conference! Love it! Trying to set up a model classroom this year. Look forward to sharing info with you.
    Nancy Stoltenberg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! You will be great! Wish you were here with us in Phoenix.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete