Friday, September 16, 2011

Super Improver strategy

I have been using the super improvers wall diligently.  I have found that, when I tell my students that I will update the wall on my break, every student stays engaged during the entire period.  For example, while I'm having students teach one another, I remind them that I am looking for super improvers.  I am providing my stars for SS math, Reading, and energetic gestures.  I noticed that every time a student comes in from recess, their little faces are beat red and they want to rest for a little while.  So, I have to incorporate more incentive via the wall.  It has worked wonders this week.  Students enter the classroom and they walk the perimeter of the classroom.  While walking the perimeter, they say the rules and pass the SI Wall.  Every student comes in with a burst of energy eagerly waiting to see if they earned a star during the last period.  When a student earns 6 stars they earn a classroom leader pin.  One of my most challenging students, academically, reminded me at the end of the day that she only needs one more star to be a classroom leader!  These are the days, that remind me of how lucky I am to be a teacher!  It is truly rewarding!


Heather Hansen
Wbt Intern
2011/12

1 comment:

  1. It really DOES make a huge difference, doesn't it?! Today I told the students I would post more stars after the restroom break. That was the quietest, perfectest restroom break I've ever seen! LOL :)

    I loe your idea about practicing the rules as they march around the room.

    Allison
    awholebrainteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete